Two people have been killed and seven others injured in a head-on collision involving a Sienta vehicle and a Metro Mass Transit (MMT) bus at Assin Fosu in the Central Region.
The accident occurred at about 7 p.m. on Sunday when the Sienta, travelling from Cape Coast, reportedly attempted to overtake another vehicle and collided head-on with the MMT bus travelling from Kumasi.
The deceased were the driver of the Sienta and one of its passengers. Five other occupants of the vehicle sustained injuries and were rushed to a hospital for treatment.
The Central North Regional Motor Traffic and Transport Department (MTTD) Commander, ASP Wonder Lumor, said the vehicle being overtaken by the Sienta had slowed down to make a turn when the Sienta driver moved into the opposite lane, resulting in the collision.
The impact forced the MMT bus off the road and into the wall of Obiri Yeboah Senior High School, causing part of the wall to collapse.
Three children who were walking along the road were also struck by the bus and sustained injuries. ASP Lumor said they had been admitted to the St. Francis Xavier Hospital and were in stable condition.
“Investigation is ongoing. The two deceased persons were from the Sienta, but no passenger from the Metro Mass died.”
The MMT bus driver, William Aboagye, said the collision happened suddenly when the Sienta moved into the path of the bus while attempting to overtake another vehicle.
Some passengers on the MMT bus, who said they were traders travelling from Techiman to Mankessim, described the incident as a frightening experience.

0 Comments